Saturday 8 November 2008

Book review time

It's been a while since I reviewed a book on here - so...
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows
What a joy! I read it in one gulp because I just needed to find out what would happen - would Juliet end up with Mark. What about Dawsey? He was so wonderful - something had to happen! Would Elizabeth come home?
As you read through you know what you WANT to happen - and those wants could contradict each other.
I love novels in different formats and this one is epistolary (ie in letters, and notes, and telegrams in this case).
And then there's the experiences of the Guernsey Islanders during German occupation - and the stories of the German soldiers. Yes, a lot of bad - but those glimpses of humans behind the badge are well-drawn.
And the wonders, joys, and friendships that come out of reading...
This is now on my wish list - fancy that! An adult novel!!!
I'm re-reading it shortly...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!