Friday 18 September 2020

World Kid Lit Month 2020: Day One

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy 1984 cover.The Changeover movie poster.
September is #WorldKidLitMonth and, after YEARS of a hiatus on this blog, I thought it worth sharing my selections for this month - and sharing my thoughts on why I've chosen them.

As a New Zealander, I will share *some* of my favourite New Zealand books.

Day one: The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (1984).

Made into a powerful movie in 2017. 
Blogger with Margaret Mahy admiring bracelet.
Margaret Mahy was (is) a powerhouse in New Zealand publishing. 

New Zealand is a lightly drawn character in the book. 
New Zealanders can see themselves in her writing - but The Changeover garnered the Carnegie Medal in 1984 - recognised by UK librarians as an 'outstanding new English-language book for children or young adults.' 

Margaret's The lion in the meadow (1969) was my gateway to New Zealand books. It is the first book I remember, and involved my first memory of visiting a library. 

Also pictured is me with Margaret at a dinner for her 70th birthday, admiring the bracelet I made her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!