Thursday 17 July 2008

For Montana Poetry Day

To recognise Montana Poetry Day... a poem by New Zealander Joy Cowley (from Psalms for the road, pub 2002)
Grief
Friend,
I don’t know what you are going through.
I’ve had grief in my life, but this is your grief,
Your pain, and I am on the outside.
I realise that words of comfort are useless
to someone hanging on a cross.
All I can do is be here for you,
bring in the washing, answer the phone,
make a pot of tea for visitors,
hug you when hugs are needed,
and listen when you need to talk.
If you want silence, tell me.
If you want me to go, please say.
You know me well enough
to treat me as one of the family.
Friend, I can only stand here
at the foot of your cross,
but know in your desolation,
that you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!