Friday 8 July 2011

Stereotypes and shopping

A couple of months ago - on Fair Go - a nine-year-old perfectly expressed how I feel about clothes and jewellery. Check out the video here
Everything is pink and purple in girl-land - and hearts and ruffles.
Like young Shannon, I'm not a pink and purple and hearts and ruffles type of gal. I have no problem with those that are.
At least as a grown-up, I have more choice in clothes - black, really. Maybe some red or purple...
But jewellery... hmmmm... And decorations...
I don't do hearts. I don't do crosses. (I'm not a Christian, so why should I? Just like I don't do ankhs or hamsa. These are not my beliefs, but they are others. And I respect them, and show that by not wearing them as an accessory.)
And that is why I have spent four days dropping into a shop, trying to find jewellery I can cope with. 
The xx-genes in human females does not automatically indicate a preference for pink / purple / hearts / frills / lace / ruffles.
The xy-genes in human males does not automatically indicate a preference for navy / grey / cards / sport / fishing / argyle patterned socks.
So, here I am, struggling to express individuality when forced into boxes.
And you wonder why I knit, and make my own jewellery.

4 comments:

  1. Gah!!! Thats why I make my own too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - it's also why I've been buying men's pyjamas. Women's pyjamas are just too pink and heart-y. Give me skull & crossbones on navy instead :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love the name of your Blog. Yes, it made me look, and enjoy your writings. Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!