Friday 10 September 2010

Food on a Friday: my ultimate comfort food

Rice Pudding
[from Edmonds Cookery Book - first edition recipe, with variations]
Serves 4 [I halve it and it serves me - but this is ultimate comfort food]


Ingredients:
5 Tb short grain rice
2 Tb sugar
3 cups milk
2 to 3 drops vanilla essence
¼ tsp nutmeg


Method:

Place rice and sugar in the bottom of an ovenproof dish.

Add milk and vanilla. Mix well.

Sprinkle nutmeg over the surface. [or grate fresh nutmeg - my preference!]

Bake at 150ºC for 2 hours, stirring two or three times in first hour.

OR: bake at 70ºC overnight, or all day.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy. This was my favourite childhood pudding. Its still one of my favourites. My kids don't like it. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How mean of them!

    When I drag it out, I'll put up my single serve version if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jodz - easy - just halve the quantities - and all else the same...
    I'm obviously a big piggie-eater when it comes to rice pudding!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!