Friday 3 September 2010

Food on a Friday

Those who know me will probably be surprised that I have recipes I like - and actually make. Not the most foodie person in the world - even if I am addicted to Food TV...

Anyhoo - my current fav recipe for lateish-home-and-throw-something-together-cooking...

Alison Holt's Mushroom Soup (from her Soup Book)
Makes 6 servings (I quarter it for me - so not a HUGE serving)

2 medium onions
3 Tb butter
2 cloves of garlic
4 medium (150g) flat brown mushrooms [I will admit to only halving this measurement! The more mushrooms the merrier I feel]
¼ tsp dried thyme [I tend to use mixed herbs, cos that's what I have]
3 Tb flour
2 cups chicken stock or 2 tsp instant stock powder in 2 cups water
½ tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 Tb sherry, optional
1 Tb balsamic or wine vinegar
2 cups milk

Cook the chopped onions in the butter in a large pot, over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until they are lightly browned. Add the finely chopped garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
Chop the mushrooms finely and add to the onions with the thyme. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the flour, and cook until it has lightly browned too, then add the stock, or water and instant stock powder, the salt and pepper, sherry and balsamic or wine vinegar. Stir well to mix and bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer gently for 5-10 minutes.
Whisk or stir in the milk, heat until almost boiling, then serve.
VARIATION: If you prefer a smooth, creamier soup, proceed as far as boiling the soup before the milk is added. Pour it through a sieve, catching all the chunky pieces in it. Process / blend these with a little of the strained liquid, and process to a thick puree. Mix this, the strained mix or the milk, then reheat to almost boiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!