Friday 1 January 2021

Knitting pattern: Weeding Sleeve


A couple of weeks ago, my Mum was visiting her oldest friend. They met at 10, and are now 84.

Aunt Alice had made arm protectors for gardening, out of her husband's old work socks, by cutting off the foot. 

My Mum said she didn't have socks she wanted to do that to, but had a sock knitter at her house.

Challenge laid down!


So, my pattern for Weeding Sleeves, if you want it is:

10ply yarn, 4.5mm needles. Knitted in the round.

Cast on 60 stitches in the round.

K2tog, p1 around to end with 40 stitches (this is your 1st round).

K1, p1 rib for another 4 rounds.

Change to K2, p2 rib.

In pattern for 17 stitches, loosely cast off 6 stitches, continue in pattern to end of round (17 stitches).

Next round: in pattern for 17 stitches, cast on 6 stitches using backward loop cast on, pattern to end of round (40 stitches).

Continue in k2, p2 rib for another 58 rounds (60 k2, p2 in total).

Change to k1, p1 rib for 5 rounds.

Cast off loosely.

That's 70 rounds in total. 


So far both recipients have been very happy, and the sleeves have fitted both of them. I'm now working on my third set, for another 84 year old. 

My Mum has been wearing hers a lot, as she's just had surgery on her arm, and the warmth is helping her heal. 

I'll try and get better photos later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!