Wednesday 27 September 2023

World Kid Lit Month 2023: Bonus picture book: names

Bonus picture book: names: 

The boy who tried to shrink his name. 
Written by Sandhya Parappukkaran; illustrated by Michelle Pereira. 

Bright Light, an imprint of Hardie Grant Children's Publishing, 2021.

I was given a little name because, in the words of my father: 'a little baby needs a little name' (spot the premature child - who did not suit the pre-birth name of Philip John.) 

My name is also familiar to the majority of speakers in my home country. It's four letters. 
A-N-N-E.
But, for over 50 years, an aunt has always spelt it A-N-N. (A-n-n looks dreadful, but A-n-n-e looks so much more distinguished - thank you, Anne Shirley - aka Anne of Green Gables.) 
I'm often called Annie - long story. And, I don't mind. 
But, I do get grumpy when people reply to my emails and call me Ann. My name is *right there*! 
I have been called Anna on occasions. And so many variations.

If that's the case for me with a 'simple', 'old-fashioned / traditional' "English" name - then I can only imagine and sympathise with the pain of those who are gifted names outside this purview. 

Zimdalamashkermishkada has this issue. His name is a gift - one that links him to his family heritage and country. In trying to fit in, he could lose some of that - and a sense of self. 

It saddens me, when co-workers and friends Anglicise their names - or choose an 'English' name to use at work. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!