Thursday 23 June 2022

Question: Should parents in the workplace expect non-parents to make concessions for them by being more flexible with work shifts / project deadlines?

Question: Should parents in the workplace expect non-parents to make concessions for them by being more flexible with work shifts / project deadlines?

A reason I took sick leave. 
I come at this as a non-parent. 

I am a daughter. 

I am a sister.

I am an aunt.

I am a friend. 

I have a dependent cat. 

I was a granddaughter. 


Every single one of us is human.

Every single one of us has family (biological and / or found).

Every single one of us has stuff. 


Flexibility and concessions should be made for those who need it. When they need it. 

Sick leave should be unlimited (with the caveat that those who abuse it, are dealt with). 

I give thanks to my managers, who did whatever needed doing so I was paid my full pay, while I was on death watch. 

I spent weeks working around six hours a week, and most of the rest at my grandfather's deathbed. I didn't notice a decrease in my pay or my leave balance. 

I missed a conference I'd had to make a case to attend. Instead, I was watching my father die. My manager just said 'go. It's sorted.'

Years later, this same manager sorted leave and pay for a couple of workmates after sudden family bereavements. They came back to work when they were ready. There was no pressure on them. 

Every single one of us deserves this respect. This manaakitanga. 

Every single one of us deserves a workplace where you can say 'I need time. I need help.' Whatever it is. For whatever reason. Without having to bare our souls to do get it. 

The fact we don't all have this — that we're too scared / diffident / uncertain to ask for it  that it's not offered / a given —  is an indictment on workplace culture. 


PS: I typed this up a week or so ago. Since then, I need to take some time off to view a property. I may need time to move. I may need to spend time at work doing at-home stuff, to get everything in place. Like I said, we all have stuff. 


What do you currently do for a living? 

Arrange playdates between toys and a T. Rex 😉. (Seriously! It's happening in July!)

Being an auntie.  

I'm a Senior Librarian - Children and Youth; and 2iC (second in charge). 

 What three words would you use to describe your role? 

Tedium. Chaos. Smiles. 

What is your biggest achievement to date - personal or professional? 

Surviving working three part-time jobs, over six days a week, while studying for my MA full-time (and achieving Honours). It make working fulltime, while studying (part time and by distance) for my MLIS a doddle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing... please share your name, too...
I'm going to check the comments first - and it might take me a while to remember to look - sorry!